Newmaninstitutet. Högskola för teologi, filosofi och kultur


Teologisk högskola i Uppsala

Applicants from countries outside the EU, the EEA and Switzerland are required to pay both an application fee and tuition fees for all studies commencing after June 2011. Students from within the EU/EEA/Switzerland are exempt from fees, as are exchange students.

National application fee for non-EU/EEA students
The application fee for students from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland applying to study at higher education institutions in Sweden is set at SEK 900 per term. The application fee is the same for all Swedish universities and university colleges.
More information regarding application fees, who is required to pay, and how to make payment can be found on the national higher education admissions website:

Application dates
The deadline for application to programmes/courses for students outside of the EU/EEA and Switzerland are as follows:
January 16 for the Fall term;
August 15 for the Spring term.

Tuition fees
The tuition fee per academic year for students from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland for Humanities studies is SEK 80,000 (per term the tuition fee is SEK 40,000).

Paying tuition fees
You will receive an invoice by e-mail after you have replied to your offer and received your second notification of selection results. The invoice will be sent via e-mail.
The tutition fee for the first semester (40,000 SEK) must be provided to the Newman Institute according to the dates stated on the invoice.
The fee for coming semesters must be paid one semester at a time, one month before the semester starts. Current students who fail to pay the stipulated tuition fee will be put on academic suspension.
The tuition fee will be reimbursed:

  • for a cancellation of studies caused by denial of a visa.
  • if you have been conditionally admitted and do not fulfil the eligibility (e.g. bachelor degree) on the enrolment day.

Visas and Residence Permits in Sweden

Residence permits
If you are going to stay in Sweden you may need a residence permit. EU/EEA citizens and family members do not need residence permits for stays in Sweden of up to three months’ duration. If you are going to stay in Sweden you may need a residence permit (“uppehållstillstånd”).

EU/EEA citizens
As of 30 April 2006 EU/EEA citizens and their family members no longer need residence permits for staying in Sweden for more than three months. EU/EEA citizens shall instead register their right of residence and family members who are not EU/EEA citizens shall apply for residence cards.

Nordic citizens

Nordic citizens can spend time in and live in Sweden without having to register or have a work permit.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU or Scandinavia you must have your residence permit stamped into your passport before entering Sweden. You apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Otherwise you may not be allowed into the country. In some non-European countries Sweden may be represented by the Embassy or Consulate of another EU country (for instance, Finland or the Netherlands).

More information:
Students in Sweden:

Visa information
Before you depart for Sweden you will need to make sure that you have the correct documentation.
Nationals from the majority of countries outside the EU/EEA require a visa to visit Sweden and the other Schengen countries. Visitiors also need a valid passport for entry into Sweden. Citizens of countries within the EU/EEA need a valid passport or an identity card proving citizenship. For further information contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your country, or the website of the Swedish Migration Board.
Nordic citizens:
Visiting researchers:
Students in Sweden: