International Conference on Theology of Religions
Theology of Religions – Roman Catholic Perspectives
October 6 – 8, 2017
The Newman Institute, University College, Uppsala
”Theology of Religions” is among the most burning issues within Christian theology today. Systematic and fundamental theologians, as well as specialists in non-Christian religions, will study and discuss different ways of handling conflicting truth claims and religious narratives between religions.
This international conference, sponsored by the Newman Institute, will draw some of the most prominent Catholic and Protestant experts within the field. The aim of the conference is to give an overview of the present status of ”Theology of Religions” from a Roman Catholic perspective, as well as to further discuss open and controversial issues within this field. The formulation ”Roman Catholic perspective” should not be understood as excluding Protestant voices, nor as indicating a monolithic pre-understanding of the topic. However, even if the issues are common for all theologians focusing on this topic, confessional traditions play an important, though not always articulated, role.
List of conference speakers
- Archbishop Joseph Augustine DiNoia, O.P., Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Rome
- Professor Dr. Klaus von Stosch, Universität Paderborn
- Professor Dr. Marianne Moyaert, Faculty of Theology, VU University, Amsterdam
- Professor Dr. Joshua Ralston, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Dr. Anna Bonta Moreland, Villanova University, Pennsylvania
- Professor Dr. Anja Middelbeck-Varwick, Freie Universität, Berlin
- P. Diego Sarrió Cucarella, MAfr, Pontificio Istituto di Studi Arabi e d’Islamistica, Rome
- Professor Dr. Wilhelmus G.B.M. (Pim) Valkenberg, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC
- Professor Dr. Oliver Wiertz, Hochschule St. Georgen, Frankfurt a. M.
- Professor Dr. Reinhold Bernhardt, Evangelisch-Theologische Fakultät, Basel
- Professor Dr. Peter Jonkers, Tilburg School of Catholic Theology, Utrecht
- Professor Dr. Veli Matti Kärkäinen, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California
- Professor Dr. Gavin D’Costa, University of Bristol
Participants will need to make their own arrangements for accommodations and meals. After registration we will send information with recommended hotels offering discounted prices in central Uppsala.