Theology of Religions – Roman Catholic Perspectives
International Conference October 6–8, 2017 The Newman Institute, University College, Uppsala
”Theology of Religions” is among the most burning issues within Christian theology today. Systematic and fundamental theologians, as well as specialists in non-Christian religions, will study and discuss different ways of handling conflicting truth claims and religious narratives between religions. This international conference, sponsored by the Newman Institute, will draw some of the most prominent Catholic and Protestant experts within the field. The aim of the conference is to give an overview of the present status of ”Theology of Religions” from a Roman Catholic perspective, as well as to further discuss open and controversial issues within this field. The formulation ”Roman Catholic perspective” should not be understood as excluding Protestant voices, nor as indicating a monolithic pre-understanding of the topic. However, even if the issues are common for all theologians focusing on this topic, confessional traditions play an important, though not always articulated, role.
October 6, Friday
15.00 Coffee 15.30 Inauguration of Conference by the President of Newman Institute, Father Philip Geister, SJ. 15.45 Key note lecture: The Prospects for Catholic Theology of Religions. Archbishop Joseph Augustine DiNoia, OP, Rome (Moderator Dr. Philip Geister, SJ) 17.00 Coffee Break 17:15-18:45 Workshop: Comparative Theology and Theology of Religions. Prof. Dr. Klaus von Stosch, Paderborn (chair), Prof. Dr. Marianne Moyaert, Amsterdam, Prof. Dr. Joshua Ralston, Edinburgh.
October 7, Saturday
9.00 Lecture : Associate Professor, Dr. Anna Bonta Moreland, Villanova University – Speak, Lord, Your Servant is Listening: Muhammad and Christian Prophecy. (Moderator Professor Ulf Jonsson, SJ) 10.15 Coffee Break 10.45 Workshop: Islam in Christian Theology. Professor Dr. Anja Middelbeck-Varwick, Freie Universität Berlin (chair), Rev. Dr. Diego Sarrió Cucarella, MAfr, Pontificio Istituto di Studi Arabi e d’Islamistica, Rome, Professor Dr. Wilhelmus G.B.M. (Pim) Valkenberg, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC. 12.45 Lunchbreak 14.00 Workshop: Truth and Theology of Religions. Prof. Dr. Oliver Wiertz, St Georgen (chair), Prof. Dr. Reinhold Bernhardt, Basel and Prof. Dr. Peter Jonkers, Tilburg. 16.00 Coffeebreak 16.30-17.45 Lecture – Professor Dr. Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, Fuller Theological Seminary – Theology of Religions - Roman Catholic and Protestant/Evangelical. (Moderator Dr. Erik Åkerlund)
October, 8, Sunday
9.00 Mass in S:t Lars’ Parish Church, celebrated by Archbishop Joseph Augustine DiNoia. OP 10.45 Lecture – Professor Dr. Gavin D’Costa, University of Bristol – Reflections on two critical issues between Roman Catholics and Jews in contemporary theology of religions (Moderator Professor Gösta Hallonsten) 12.00 Panel discussion. 12.45 Conclusion by Father Philip Geister
List of conference speakers
- Archbishop Joseph Augustine DiNoia, O.P., Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Rome
- Professor Dr. Klaus von Stosch, Universität Paderborn
- Professor Dr. Marianne Moyaert, Faculty of Theology, VU University, Amsterdam
- Professor Dr. Joshua Ralston, School of Divinity, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Dr. Anna Bonta Moreland, Villanova University, Pennsylvania
- Professor Dr. Anja Middelbeck-Varwick, Freie Universität, Berlin
- P. Diego Sarrió Cucarella, MAfr, Pontificio Istituto di Studi Arabi e d’Islamistica, Rome
- Professor Dr. Wilhelmus G.B.M. (Pim) Valkenberg, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC
- Professor Dr. Oliver Wiertz, Hochschule St. Georgen, Frankfurt a. M.
- Professor Dr. Reinhold Bernhardt, Evangelisch-Theologische Fakultät, Basel
- Professor Dr. Peter Jonkers, Tilburg School of Catholic Theology, Utrecht
- Professor Dr. Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California
- Professor Dr. Gavin D’Costa, University of Bristol